Sunday, August 22, 2010

Italian Yumminess!

My 'mission' for the weekend past was to find a carbonara recipe that used a more traditional approach, which is prepared using eggs and cheese, instead of cream only. So i thought to myself, why not do a whole Italian themed dinner?

It started out with a salad of spinach, sliced tomatoes and sliced buffalo mozzarella, topped with a sprinkle of chopped basil, balsamic vinegar and olive oil dressing. All done in like 8 minutes. Easy to prepare and delicious!!!

The carbonara was next; I couldn't find pancetta as recommended by the recipe, so with my friend Selina's advice, I bought streaky bacon which I cut to squares, as a substitute. While waiting for the spaghetti to cook, I fried the bacon in some olive oil, and I went on to prepare the sauce. All it took was an egg, quarter a cup of percorino and parmesan cheese mixed together with a generous amount of freshly ground pepper and voilĂ  – the sauce was ready! I drained the cooked pasta, threw it into the pan with the fried bacon, and then stirred the sauce into the pasta - I had to do it quickly so that the egg didn't scramble. I then finished it off with some more pepper and a sprinkle of cheese, and it was finally done!! Super yummy!!!! I should have thrown some of the water used to boil the pasta into it as it was a little dry, but no regrets about that- it was still very good!

For dessert, we had Tiramisu that we bought from Spinelli's (it didn't have any taste of coffee. Yucks! I really need to learn how to make tiramisu on my own) and a super yummy chocolate truffle cake from Cedele...mmmmm:)

Was that the end? Nope – it went on to breakfast the next day and i went english! A proper english breakfast consisting of 3 different types of sausages, the leftover bacon from yesterday, tomatoes and scrambled eggs, finished off with a cup of coffee. Mmmm...another great meal to end a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment